Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington
Virginia & DC Government Relations Internship (Spring 2012)
The Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington (JCRC) is the public affairs and community relations arm of the regional Jewish community representing over 100 Jewish organizations and synagogues and the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington. The JCRC focuses on government relations, Israel advocacy, inter-group relations, and social justice.
The Virginia Government Relations program advocates in support of government resources for Jewish agencies and the policy priorities of the Jewish community. The Inter-Group Relations component is focused on building bridges between the local Jewish community and other Greater Washington faith, ethnic and minority communities.
Interns will have the opportunity to participate in exciting and meaningful projects and will have a unique lens through which to view our dynamic organization in action. JCRC Interns are involved in all aspects of our programs including legislative activities, research, event planning and publicity and policy development.
The Intern will be mentored by the Director for D.C. and Virginia and will have significant opportunities to interact with the entire staff.
The Intern will be based at the JCRC’s Fairfax Office, which is located at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia, 8900 Little River Turnpike, and Fairfax.
Responsibilities may include:
- Research/monitor upcoming grant opportunities and inform constituent agencies
- Monitor opportunities for board member participation in community boards and forums
- Observe Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and monitor key discussions and legislation
- Assist in planning and staffing Advocacy Days on Capitol Hill and Richmond
- Planning special community programs and meeting (candidate forum and briefing with elected officials, Yom Ha Shoah, Educator symposia, etc)
- Participating in interfaith programs and strategic planning sessions
- Working on ongoing advocacy research as needed
- Programming assistance on all local, state, federal government projects
- Provide program/administrative support as needed
- Other projects as assigned by Virginia Director of Government and Community Relations
Successful candidates for JCRC internships must demonstrate the following:
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Dedication to the values of the Jewish community and Israel advocacy
- Strong computer capabilities including MS Office Suite
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail
- Self motivation to take on projects and complete tasks
- Accepts responsibility willingly
- There is a stipend available based on experience and time commitment. Class credit may also be possible, based on school requirements.
- Days and hours are flexible, with a minimum of 16-20 hours per week required.
- Preference will be given to students in Master’s degree programs and undergraduate seniors/juniors
To apply, please provide a resume and a letter of interest to:
Adina Remz, Executive Assistant and Intern Coordinator
6101 Montrose Road, Suite 205, Rockville MD 20852
Once your application and references have been received, we will contact you to schedule an interview. If you have any questions, please contact Adina Remz at email@example.com or 301-348-7361 or visit our website www.jcouncil.org